Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Green Chile-Tofu Migas

I have a really special recipe to share with you today! This one is from Quick Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson, a book that I am enjoying exploring and everything I've made from it so far has been great and easy! This dish takes less than half an hour to prep and cook, which I love. It includes lots of fresh ingredients that come together extremely well, and can be customized according to your tastes.
Migas is typically made with eggs, but of course this vegan version uses tofu as a stand-in. This has to hands-down be the best tofu scramble-esque dish I've made and is sure to become a staple in my house! You can make it as hot or as mild as you want, top it with whatever yummyness sounds good, and whip it up for a fancy brunch or a casual dinner - it fits well anywhere and will impress non-vegans!
As a tip, I used some small glass bowls to set aside my pre-chopped veggies, etc. so that they were ready to go in at the right time. I had everything prepped before turning on the skillet, because things come together quickly after that and I prefer not to stress while chopping onions, etc. =)
So without further ado, I share with you the recipe....

Green Chile-Tofu Migas
1 pound soft tofu, drained (I actually used firm tofu, as I prefer my scrambles to hold up better and really think firm makes a better stand-in for scrambled eggs)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup tomato salsa
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 scallions, minced
4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, hot or mild, drained
1 tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro

Place the tofu in a bowl and mash well. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and salsa and mix until well combined. Halve and pit the avocado, spoon out the flesh, and chop. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, scallions, and tortilla pieces and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chiles and the reserved tofu mixture and cook, stirring, until hot and well combined. Add the chopped tomato and cilantro and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed (here I added about a teaspoon of Himalayan black salt, to bring in that eggy flavor that vegan scrambles tend to lack - I recommend it!!)

Serve hot topped with avocado. Feel free to add vegan sour cream, additional salsa, hot sauce, dairy-free cheese, etc. as you wish!

In all its glory....and now I officially want to eat it right now!! Excited to share this one with my Mexican food-loving family!



Original recipe taken from Quick Fix Vegan cookbook by Robin Robertson.

No comments:

Post a Comment