Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Gone Bananas

Growing up, I always loved when my mom baked banana bread. It was one of my favorite things she made, and she always did so when we had overripe bananas that we couldn't use for anything else. So today, when I found myself with a whole bunch of overripe bananas, I decided to bake some banana bread! I have used her recipe before, but of course this time needed to find a vegan one.
To the rescue comes Post Punk Kitchen, a fun vegan recipe website with some interesting posts. I found a simple recipe for banana bread for which I had all the ingredients already so I was off to baking right away!

Banana Bread
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup margarine, at room temperature (I use Earth Balance)
3 very ripe bananas, mashed well
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk, the original calls for vanilla soy milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 8 x 4 bread/loaf pan with margarine or cooking spray.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl - flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
Cream together the margarine and sugars. Add bananas, milk and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. (Confession: I also added chopped walnuts and some semi-sweet [still vegan] chocolate chips to the bread...in my book chocolate only improves things!!)
Pour batter into pan. Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean (mine was done right at one hour).

Fresh out of the oven!

The bread sliced and served well, even while warm. Not too crumbly but not too sticky! The loaf had a nice, slightly crisp top but soft underside.

Bottom Line: A quick and easy banana bread recipe that can be dressed up if desired. In my opinion the banana flavor was a little understated and it could have used a bit more moisture (probably due to the kind of banana bread I am used to), so perhaps could use another banana or some oil. But overall a delicious recipe worth trying! Would love to try it with some alternative sugars and flours to improve the health of the bread as well.



Original recipe found here on Post Punk Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment