Quick Burgers (makes 4 burgers)
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (or, even better, make your own beans ahead of time!)
2 tablespoons ketchup (try to find organic condiments with no HFCS)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1/3 cup instant oats
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly pureed but with some half beans and bean parts left.
4. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined, then mix in oats.
5. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into thin patties.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, carefully flip over, and bake for another 5 minutes, or until crusty on the outside.
7. Put on a bun with desired condiments and serve! (I toasted my bun, used a small amount of Vegenaise and ketchup, and served with lettuce, onion, and avocado).
Southwest Chop Salad
4 cups chopped lettuce
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup yellow corn
1/2 cup chopped tomato
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
4 tablespoons chopped green onions
Dressing (see #2)
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. For dressing, Lindsay recommends hot sauce with fresh lime juice or salsa. I just squeezed a lime over the salad and thought it was perfection on its own!
Bottom Line: A traditional, crowd-pleasing meal that was easy and refreshing! Perfect for a family gathering, or when you're craving a burger! Also, the salad is a great go-to, complete lunch for one if you halve the recipe as I listed it.