Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Quick Black Bean Burgers + Southwest Chop Salad

Okay, I'm on a Happy Herbivore roll! These two recipes, served together, were a perfect lunch that I'd love to serve to friends or family. I've always been slightly afraid to make my own veggie burgers as I've heard they're difficult to hold together (the main reason so many premade ones, such as Morningstar, use eggs as a binding agent..no thanks!). I was thrilled to now be able to make my own, as one of my goals is not to buy any more highly processed meat substitutes. These burgers are easy, fast, and so yummy! Served with the salad, which could also be a meal on its own, it was a meal I will be making again soon, and definitely a boyfriend-pleaser =)

Quick Burgers (makes 4 burgers)
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (or, even better, make your own beans ahead of time!)
2 tablespoons ketchup (try to find organic condiments with no HFCS)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1/3 cup instant oats

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly pureed but with some half beans and bean parts left.
4. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined, then mix in oats.
5. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into thin patties.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, carefully flip over, and bake for another 5 minutes, or until crusty on the outside.
7. Put on a bun with desired condiments and serve! (I toasted my bun, used a small amount of Vegenaise and ketchup, and served with lettuce, onion, and avocado).

Southwest Chop Salad
4 cups chopped lettuce
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup yellow corn
1/2 cup chopped tomato
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
4 tablespoons chopped green onions
Dressing (see #2)

1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. For dressing, Lindsay recommends hot sauce with fresh lime juice or salsa. I just squeezed a lime over the salad and thought it was perfection on its own!

Yum!

Bottom Line:  A traditional, crowd-pleasing meal that was easy and refreshing! Perfect for a family gathering, or when you're craving a burger! Also, the salad is a great go-to, complete lunch for one if you halve the recipe as I listed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment