This dal, I thought, was absolutely perfect! A little spicy, pretty sweet, and with just enough flavor to pack a punch...plus, it's full of veggies, fiber and protein! I served it over brown rice because it was less soup-like and more of a stew. I loved it!!
Sweet Potato Dal
1 small sweet potato, skinned and diced into 1/4 inch cubes (I actually snuck in two potatoes out of sheer love for them!)
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 pinches red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup dried red lentils
4 cups spinach
salt, to taste
1. Line a medium pot with a thin layer of water and saute onion and garlic for a minute. Add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes and continue to cook until all of the water has cooked off.
2. Add turmeric and garam masala and stir to coat.
3. Add 1 cup of broth and uncooked lentils. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
4. Add sweet potatoes, bring to a boil again, and reduce heat to low and simmer, until lentils are fully cooked (they expand and the sauce thickens), about 5 minutes more. Check periodically to see if you need additional broth (I had to add about 1/2 cup more).
5. Once lentils are cooked and sweet potatoes are fork-tender, taste. Add more garam masala if desired (mixtures differ in their strength).
6. Add spinach, continuing to stir until spinach cooks down and softens.
7. Season with salt to taste and serve (I did not need any additional salt, and as mentioned before I served this oven brown rice).
Colorful and delicious!
Bottom Line: If you enjoy Indian food, curries, or similarly-flavored dishes, make this ASAP! I know I'll be making it again soon!