Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to Basics

Okay...I'll admit it. With a cringe I will say that tonight I literally had NO pots or pan to cook with, as we have seriously lagged on taking care of dishes these past few days. I know, ew! So we decided to go with a quick and easy staple meal, no recipes needed, that we have relied upon since becoming vegetarians years ago. A quick scrub of a few pots and we were set to go!

Whole Wheat Rotini with Marinara Sauce
1/2 bag whole wheat rotini
1/2 jar organic marinara sauce (I buy mine at Trader Joe's)
1/2 white onion
1 tsp crushed garlic

Add rotini to boiling water and cook as directed. In a separate sauce pan, simmer marinara sauce and add in onion and garlic (I like to do this for added texture and flavor...the more veggies you add the better, in my opinion!). When pasta is done, pour sauce over pasta. You know the drill!

Roasted Broccoli
I find that roasting broccoli rather than steaming it gives it much more flavor and, depending on how long you cook it for, an interesting slight crunch. You can adjust the seasonings however you like...I like to use a little garlic powder, some fresh garlic, and some garlic salt. Yes...I adore garlic =)

All you have to do is: preheat oven to 400 degrees; grab a roasting pan and drizzle ~2 tbsp. olive oil over a few cups of broccoli so it is fairly well covered (I prefer to err on the side of more than less oil, but that's just me); roast for 15-20 minutes, depending on how crispy you would like the florets to be! The end! So easy =)

Garlic Bread
Sense a bit of a theme here?!! Anyway, the garlic bread was just a way for us to use some extra whole wheat hot dog buns we had, but it is always a delicious addition to a meal. Just spread some Earth Balance butter on it, top with some crushed garlic and some garlic salt, and broil for a few minutes. I like to use real garlic as it imparts a sweeter, more heady flavor to the bread.

Okay, so at this point I feel a little silly for even having typed all of this out as it is quite basic. But just to prove how easy it is to go from empty-pantry, guess we'll get takeout night to healthy Italian meal I will publish =)

Just like mom used to make!


Bottom Line: A quick, easy, ultra-familiar meal you can make with things probably already in your cupboards. It is, however, lacking a bit in protein. I usually like to add vegetarian crumbles (my favorite is by Gardein) or veggie meatballs to my sauce to solve this problem. I didn't have any around tonight though so went without.

No comments:

Post a Comment