Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

Sicilian Collard Greens

For lunch I needed a side dish for my leftover lasagna, so I decided to make Sicilian Collard Greens, one of my favorite recipes from The Kind Diet. I've made this dish countless time...it takes less than 10 minutes, produces consistently great results, and fits as a yummy side dish with lots of meals.
Alicia lists two versions of the dish, one that is simply vegan and one that is "Superhero," meaning extra whole, clean and macrobiotic - no white sugar, white flour, or processed products. The version I am using here is the Superhero version (shoyu replaces balsamic vinegar, and pumpkin seeds replace pine nuts).

Sicilian Collard Greens
1 bunch collard greens (I buy a bag of "Southern Greens" from Trader Joes - no cutting of ribs/stems needed, and plenty to make this dish a few times)
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons raisins (I love Trader Joe's Organic Thompson Seedless)
2 tablespoons shoyu

Toast the pumpkin seeds over medium heat in a dry skillet for about 5 minutes or until golden. Shake the pan often to keep the seeds from burning. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

Place the garlic and oil in a large skillet and saute over medium heat until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the damp collards and stir, then cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add the raisins and pumpkin seeds and stir. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the shoyu, cover, and continue to cook 1-2 minutes longer.


Mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment